I’m currently back in the Middle East. A short trip this time. A few things have struck me:
1. As a paleface, I get stared at a lot. It’s kinda annoying. Don’t they know it’s rude to stare?
2. After a winter in Ireland, the warmth of the sun is looooovely.
3. You have to specifically request cold milk with your tea in restaurants.
4. You can never have enough small change. Taxi-drivers never have change.
5. I noticed another Arab man spitting on the pavement in front of me as I walked down the street again today. Disgusting I thought. It’s only just occurred to me – might they be spitting at me? I hope not. I hope they were just clearing their throats. Although I was wearing tight jeans…
6. Lebanese food is yum yum yum.
7. BBC World and CNN – all these interesting stories going on around the world – who knew?
8. There is sand EVERYWHERE.
9. It’s been wonderful to catch up with good friends who live here.
I shall add to this list over the next few days I’m sure.